Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Chance Brothers & Co.

In 1822 Robert Lucas Chance bought the glassworks in Smethwick from Joseph Stock and Thomas and Philip Palmer. He was joined by John Hartley and his brother William, but after John Hartley's sons left the partnership after their father's death, the firm became Chance Brothers & Co. in 1836. In 1851 the firm supplied the glass for Crystal Palace. They made coloured glass from the later 1830s and set up a stained glass studio. This studio closed in the mid-1860s, after which their artists set up on their own, among them Samuel Evans and Thomas William Camm, who established Camm Bros with his brothers.

Search for further information about Chance Brothers & Co. on Google

Your search found 1 result.
  Ascension with the Four Evangelists Ascension with the Four Evangelists
designer: John Pollard Seddon
firm/studio: Chance Brothers & Co.
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
east wall of the chancel

Browse list of people in the database

View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020